I just got the weekly “talking points memo” from the state party communications office. Not quite as good as last weeks’ but still worth looking at. They are at the bottom of this post.
I’ve run across some good news articles in the last few days and have included links to some of the better stories here. They should give you something to say the next time a Tea Party Republican tosses out another lie about the budget shortfall or health care reform or the other falsehoods they promulgate.
• Here’s an excellent story about the positive impact health care reform will have on Texans, and puts the lie to state Tea Partiers regarding the depth and breadth of the problem in this state.
• Here’s one from the Associated Press debunking some of the national GOP lies on health care reform.
As I run across good stories, I’ll share them here.
TALKING POINTS from the TDP:
- After ten years of Republican rule, the price of the GOP leadership deficit is the $27 billion state budget shortfall, and counting.
- The GOP leadership deficit costs our communities in a big way – thousands of jobs could be cut, and each job cut has a multiplier effect of 2.5 jobs lost.
- If Republicans who control state government cut services, they will create unfunded mandates for county governments and taxpayers to pick up the tab via higher property taxes to fund their local police departments, hospital districts, and schools.
- The threat posed by the GOP leadership deficit is a generation of Texans who won’t get the education they need today to prepare them to compete for the good jobs of tomorrow’s global economy.
- A majority of Texans oppose cuts in education and health care funding, but Perry and the GOP refuse to tap a $9.4 billion Rainy Day Fund to help avoid those cuts.
- Fact-checking a non-existent CBO number (washingtonmonthly.com)
- “Support For Repeal Of Healthcare Reform Hits All Time Low” and related posts (intoxination.net)