Here is the “talking points” portion of the weekly TDC Leadership Memo. Use this information to write a letter or to push back against local Tea Party misinformation or to just to get yourself pumped up!
TDP TALKING POINTS
Rick Perry’s recent behavior provides an excellent opportunity to illustrate the threats his political agenda poses to every Texas community. Last week the Governor was out in sunny Southern California building his political profile while Texans shivered through rolling blackouts.
This week he’ll be in Washington, D.C., a place he hates so much he can’t stay away, to address the right wing CPAC conference.
In between, he stopped in Texas long enough to put his arrogance on display in a so-called “State of the State” speech on Tuesday by refusing to recognize the urgency of state budget crisis and calling for billions in budget cuts that will have real life consequences for millions of Texans (the News Clips section below includes all these items so check that out for more info).
- Rick Perry has turned his back on Texans and we have become collateral damage to his political ambition.
- The Governor fled to California, came back long enough to give a campaign speech instead of a State of the State speech, and now he is flying off again to play politics in Washington, D.C.
- Perry’s State of State speech put a punctuation mark on a politically-driven Republican budget proposal and confirmed the Governor is not looking out for anyone but himself.
- It’s time to tell Rick Perry the campaign is over, and that it’s time for him to quit blaming ‘Washington’ for everything and take responsibility for the budget crisis he created here in Texas.
- Babies and grandmas: Who will Texas’ Medicaid cuts hurt? All of us – but the oldest and youngest most of all – Houston Chronicle
- Dems don’t expect much from Perry’s State of State – San Antonio Express-News
- Perry calls for billions in cuts to education, other programs – Austin American-Statesman
- Gov. Rick Perry heads to CPAC next week for keynote to conservatives – Dallas Morning News
- A Look at Sonogram “Emergency” – Houston Chronicle
- House Speaker Joe Straus Names Committees – Texas Tribune
- State politician profits from insurance agency he ‘watchdogs’ – KHOU
- Rick Perry Accused Of ‘California Dreamin’ During Ice Storm (huffingtonpost.com)
- No budget Armageddon in Texas: Governor Perry (reuters.com)
- Texas Governor Offers Optimism on Budget Shortfall (nytimes.com)