I’d rather talk about local and or state issues here (Lord knows there’s no shortage of stuff to talk about where our local Tea Party Republicans are concerned) but some of the things going on nationally are enough to curl your toes.
And, right now, it seems like the GOP wants to roll back nearly every political and legal gain women have made in the last half-century. I don’t know how the locals can support this — I mean, I know many of them and I know they have daughters and wives that they love. I wonder how they would feel if, heaven forbid, something happened to one of them … would they be okay with the law regarding her as an “accuser” rather than a “victim”? I know I wouldn’t!
But, then again, I’ve see how they treat horses. Still, if they don’t speak out against the worst excesses of their own Party, they risk being tarred with the same brush.
This list came to me from Katt Barr of MoveOn.org.
1) Republicans not only want to reduce women’s access to abortion care, they’re actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven’t.
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.
5) In Congress, Republicans have proposed a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids’ preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress voted yesterday on a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can’t make this stuff up).
- 1. “‘Forcible Rape’ Language Remains In Bill To Restrict Abortion Funding,” The Huffington Post, February 9, 2011
- “Extreme Abortion Coverage Ban Introduced,” Center for American Progress, January 20, 2011
- 2. “Georgia State Lawmaker Seeks To Redefine Rape Victims As ‘Accusers,'” The Huffington Post, February 4, 2011
- 3. “South Dakota bill would legalize killing abortion doctors,” Salon, February 15, 2011
- 4. “House GOP Proposes Cuts to Scores of Sacred Cows,” National Journal, February 9, 2011
- 5. “New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion,” Talking Points Memo, February 4, 2011
- 6. “Republican Officials Cut Head Start Funding, Saying Women Should be Married and Home with Kids,” Think Progress, February 16, 2011
- 7. “Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli,” The New Republic, Feburary 12, 2011
- 8. “House GOP spending cuts will devastate women, families and economy,” The Hill, February 16, 2011
- 9. “House passes measure stripping Planned Parenthood funding,” MSNBC, February 18,2011
- “GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds,” Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
- 10. Ibid.
- Birth Control for Horses, Not for Women,” Blog for Choice, February 17, 2011
- Reprehensible …Tuesday, local MoveOn members in “We Won’t Go Back to the Back Alley” T-shirts will deliver your petitions during a hearing on Capitol Hill. (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Redefining rape? (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Unmasking the War on Women (dailykos.com)
- Debbie Hines: Republicans Cut Contraceptives for Women but Allow for Horses (huffingtonpost.com)