My advisors tell me that I ought to keep this blog focused on local politics but the national events at the end of last week raised my ire.
A friend asked why the Democrats were suddenly “afraid” of Rick Santorum. We’re not. Nor are we afraid of any of his sweater vests, though a couple of them are pretty scary. Still, if this is the guy the GOP wants to nominate for president, let’s have it.
However, based on his public statements, Mr. Santorum occupies a place in fundamentalist American Christianity similar to what Osama Bin Laden occupied in fundamentalist Islam. The fact that he is a serious candidate for the presidential nomination of one of our major political parties should make everyone in this country look very hard at who and what that party really represents.
And, if you are of the female persuasion (or love someone of that persuasion), it should make you very afraid, not only of this candidate but of the people who support him. Based on his comments, Mr. Santorum’s world is a place where women are chattel who should never be allowed near birth control or reproductive services.
Women deserve the right to self-determination (you know, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and all that …) and, for too many American women (even most), the ONLY way they can exercise that right is through easy access to birth control.
Telling a woman that she doesn’t have a “… right to birth control” is the same as telling her that she has no rights.
- Why the War on Birth Control is a Political Disaster for the GOP (chasdarwin.com)
- Republican Ron Hill: ‘Taliban Rick’ Santorum Sinks to New Low in Questioning Obama’s Faith (pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com)
- Marge Baker: Aspirin as the New Birth Control: The GOP War on Women Reaches New Lows (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rick Santorum: Birth Control Is ‘Not OK’ (newser.com)
- GOP Hear Them Roar (Guest Voice) (themoderatevoice.com)
- The problem with constituencies (atlmalcontent.wordpress.com)
- GOP steps up war on birth control as Santorum’s funder explains contraception (americablog.com)