Well, it looks like we will finally have an election.
The federal court opened up a new filing window this week, and a couple of people took the opportunity to toss their caps into the political ring. That filing period ended Friday so this is how the ballot shapes up.
- Norman Lanford — Judge 20th District Court
- Hollis Lewis — Judge 20th District Court
- Kerry Spears (i) — District & County Attorney
- Linda Acosta (i) — County Treasurer
- Tommy Grimes — Tax Assessor/Collector
- Ricky McCall — County Commissioner, Pct. 1
- Andy Jackson — County Commissioner, Pct. 3
- Giles Summerlin (i) — Constable, Pct. 4
- Brian Fisher — Constable, Pct. 4
You will note that we have two contested races: district judge and Constable, Pct. 4.
Monday afternoon, at 4:30, we will draw to see what order our candidates will be listed on the ballot. That will be at the county headquarters and is open to the public.
The county Executive Committee will meet 7 p.m. Thursday, also at the office, to set the time and place for our county convention. This meeting is also open to the public but most of our business will regard setting the details for the convention and the primary election.
The Milam County Democratic Women will meet 10 a.m. Saturday morning at the office. If you are interested in being part of our 2012 electoral efforts, this is the meeting to attend and the group to join.
(The county office is 112 E. 1st St., directly across the street from the north side of the county courthouse in Cameron.)